Sunday 29 April 2007

Scottish Independence

When I was a young kid in Inverness, I wore an SNP badge. I didn't really understand politics but was attracted to the emotional, football-chant, mentality of an independent Scotland.

Then I grew up and in the real political world became a Labour party supporter.

There is an election on Thursday for the Scottish Parliament. I don't have a vote. But it looks as though the Scottish National Party might become the largest single party and that Alex Salmond will become Scottish First Minister. And surprisingly, I find myself keen on that scenario.

Perhaps it is just that politics would become interesting again. But I think it is also that perhaps, just perhaps, Scotland should be an independent country. Perhaps, just perhaps, it would be financially and politically successful.

Anyway I shall watch the results on Thursday with interest.

No comments: