Monday 9 November 2009

Change in Government

The present Labour government seems to be resignedly heading towards defeat in the General Election which will have to be called before May. There is no sense of purpose any more; not even a pride in their achievements. And there undoubtedly have been some significant achievements.

I am still a member of the Labour party, but since it is unlikely that I will vote for them I guess it is logical that I should cancel my subscription.

If only they had managed to change leader when they had the opportunity six months ago.

Mind you, the Tories are increasingly shambolic. Their new links to right-wing homophobic parties in Eastern Europe frightens me. I have no confidence in George Osborne as Chancellor. And the thought of Liam Fox, Eric Pickles etc. in positions of power is frankly scary.

I am likely to vote Lib Dem just because they have been right more often than the other two parties. And they have a moral purpose that the other lack. But no doubt my vote will be a wasted one. It will not influence the result. The Tories will win. But at least I will be able to say -'Not my fault, Guv.'

It is just a pity that politics has become a decision between the lesser of evils rather than a potive statement about Britain's future.

1 comment:

Paul Brownsey said...

Why is it more important that you should be able to say, "It wasn't me, guv," than that the Tories should be in power? (My local Tory candidate, in East Dunbartonshire, told me he favoured tax breaks for the married but not for those in civil partnerships; when I drew his attention to David Cameron's pledge to treat both alike he did an unconvincing shuffle claiming he hadn't meant go against what his leader had said. But that may well be an indicator of what's brewing behind the scene, despite Cameron's aparently gay-friendly face.)