Wednesday 8 July 2009

Lochnagar

Well, we did it. On Saturday, four of us climbed Lochnagar. It was tough, especially the climb up the boulder-strewn area to the left of the cliffs. On the way down, the steep path towards Loch Muick was not easy and the long final walk back along the shores of Loch Muick with tired legs seemed to take an age.

The weather was fantastic - we couldn't have selected a better day. Unbroken sunshine, light breeze, excellent visibility. I enjoyed the company - Colin and Gordon spurred Andrew and I onwards and upwards.

And so I fulfilled a pledge to myself to climb the mountain that my mother and father had both climbed, as had my grandparents and many members of the previous generation of my family, due to the fact that they lived in the shadow of the mountain. At the summit, I did allow myself some time to reflect on the fact that my mother had stood here as a teenager seeing the same view that I was seeing.

I will post some photos in due course. Meanwhile here is a short film I took during the ascent.

1 comment:

MadeInScotland said...

I love Lochnagar, and Loch Muick. Except when we go it usually rains...