Tuesday 30 June 2009

Lochnagar

We are heading off tomorrow, around 6 am for Scotland. We will visit Andrew's Uncle and Aunt in Perthshire, pick up my Dad in Keith and then stay in Ballater. On Saturday we are planning to climb Lochnagar.

My Mother was born at the foot of Lochnagar and climbed it many times as a teenager. When she died last year, and I realised that I had never done the climb. I was determined to do that before I got too old or decrepit.

The weather forecast is not good, so that my put the kybosh on the attempt. But if we do reach the summit, it will be emotional realising that I am seeing the view that my mother (and indeed my grandparents) saw on many occasions.

I'll report back here in due course.

1 comment:

David said...

Alan, nice to see this fabled mountain. Quite similar to Cadair Idris in Wales, with its deep lake halfway up, which Giorgio and I climbed a few years ago . . . in the middle of winter! (A young couple overtook us at one point while we were having lunch, and the girl was wearing sandals with no socks!)