Thursday 11 January 2007

Being ill

I hate it. I hate not being well. I hate especially being ill with something mundane such as the flu, which is what has given me headaches, sore joints, alternative shivering and sweating, and exhaustion over the past few days.

At least last time I was ill, it was with something more exotic. I spent some time in the tropical diseases unit at the Royal Free being tested for possible West Nile Fever.

Thankfully I am not often ill. I do believe that illness only happens if the mind allows it and that normally those who are determined not to be ill, seldom succumb to illness. In this case I was slightly unwell on Saturday, but fighting it. We were due to go for dinner with a friend. Although I could have gone, I didn't think that would be fair to the friend so I cancelled. Within 30 minutes I was really ill. It was as though the act of cancelling dinner was a sign that my mind was no longer going to be a barrier to illness and whoosh. The body was open to infection.

And so I was off work, no energy, couldn't sleep and thoroughly miserable. I am slowly recovering, but it has not been am experience I've enjoyed.

No comments: