Saturday 6 January 2007

Learning Spanish

Partly because of the apartment in Malaga, indeed entirely because of the apartment in Malaga, I am trying to learn to speak and understand Spanish. It shouldn't be too difficult. It's a straightforward logical language and I am hopefully a reasonably intelligent person. And I am going to an evening class in Spanish at Barnet College each Thursday.

So why do I find it so difficult?

Old age probably. And not giving enough time to the subject. And snatching an occasional 5 minutes to look at the Spanish book when I really need to devote perhaps an hour each evening to it. Not speaking it aloud. Not being disciplined enough. Skipping over bits I don't understand.

In particular, I don't seem to remember vocabulary. Anyone got any tips for memorising words in another language? So at the moment it is frustrating, but I will stick at it. My times in Spain would be much enhanced if i could get to grips with the language.

No comments: